Check here for upcoming events at Detweiler
The historic Detweiler Meetinghouse created in 1855, located one kilometer straight
west of Roseville is the only surviving stone meetinghouse built by Mennonite
pioneers in Ontario. This was a time when love for God was evident in the love
and respect for one's own family, and neighbour while caring for the land.
Mennonite pioneers began to settle Dumfries Township in 1822. A Mennonite farmer named Jacob Rosenberger is credited for giving his name to the nearby village of Roseville. He, his wife, and two children died in the cholera epidemic of 1834.
Jacob F. Detweiler was already ordained as a minister when he came to the Roseville area in 1822. Jacob H. Detweiler, possibly a third cousin of Jacob F., who was an ordained deacon in Pennsylvania, also came to the Roseville area at that time.
Prior to 1830 the congregation met in homes for worship. In that year Samuel Snyder conveyed an acre of his land to three trustees for the Mennonite congregation for a church, school and cemetery, and the log building would have been erected here about this time at this location.
The present meetinghouse was built in 1855, and was dedicated on December 2. As was the custom of the time, services were not held in the meetinghouse every Sunday. On “off” Sundays local families would either travel to a nearby meetinghouse where services were being held – such as Blenheim, or would use the day for visiting friends and relatives.
The last service was held in the building in early 1966. In 1992 a board was put in place to restore and preserve the meetinghouse as it appeared in the second half of the 19th century. The restored meetinghouse was dedicated September 26, 1999.
Tours can be arranged to this historic site. See contact us for phone and email information.
The Detweiler Meetinghouse thus provides an ideal historic setting for special
- Bus Tours
- Family Reunions
- Literary readings
- Musical events
- Society Meetings
(See contact us for further information on arranging an event for the meetinghouse, or to obtain more information on the cemetery.)
Historical Design features of this meeting place setting include:
- the 150 year old warm pine floor and furnishings
- original antique window glass, channeling in natural sunlight
- 2 foot thick granite field stone walls built by the pioneer farmers
- granite fieldstone from nearby farm fields
- June 1, 2014. Eighth Annual Harmonia Sacra Shaped Note Singing. 2:30 p.m. Song books will be provided. Led by Laurence Martin and Bob Shantz.
- June 8, 2014. Sound in the Land, 2014. 10:00 am-12:30 p.m. Sponsored by Conrad Grebel University College. Led by Carol Ann Weaver. See https://uwaterloo.ca/grebel/sound-land-2014.
- August 23, 2014 (Saturday). It's the 6th Annual Central Ontario All Day Sacred Harp Singing. with midday dinner on the grounds. The event runs from 10:00-3:30. It is a traditional all-day singing, from the 1991 edition of The Sacred Harp. Loaner books are available. For information about this event, contact Gillian Inksetter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 21, 2014. Fifth Annual Contemporary Hymn Sing. 2:30. Sing more contemporary and international Mennonite music! Led by Mark Diller Harder.
- October 19, 2014 11th Annual Gospel Vespers, 2:30 p.m. with focus on the Life Songs II, led by Robert Shantz. Opportunity to sing your favorite hymns. A Free will offering to support upkeep of the meetinghouse will be taken. Annually, the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Led by Bob Shantz.
- November 9, 2014 Third Annual Male Chorus Sing. 2:30 p.m. Music will be provided. Led by Bob Shantz.
- November 30 , 2014. Third Annual Welcoming Advent . 2:30 p.m.
Led by Lifted Voices.
Your wedding or other family milestone celebration.